Separating Politics from Health Care Choices: Key “Purple” Messages for All Consumers
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Altarum Institute and the National Coalition on Health Care are cosponsoring a roundtable discussion on health care consumerism. The event will focus on the following three "purple," or politically independent, themes that apply to all health care consumers:
- For every condition, there is always more than one treatment (or nontreatment) option.
- For any treatment, there can be significant variation in the safety and quality of its delivery.
- Within the same level of quality and safety, there can be vast differences in price.
- Leah Binder, Chief Executive Officer, The Leapfrog Group
- Ann Boynton, Deputy Executive Officer, California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Wendy Lynch, Co-Director, Altarum Institute Center for Consumer Choice in Health Care [panel moderator]
- Jon Skinner, Professor, Dartmouth Institute of Health Policy and Clinical Practice